Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /data/9/1/10/112/1499764/user/1613286/htdocs/forum/common.php on line 106
TimeLoopTheory Forum • View topic - What is the secret of LOST? Scenarios...

What is the secret of LOST? Scenarios...

Think you have anything that you'd like added to the theory? Post here.

Re: What is the secret of LOST? Scenarios...

Postby tlchapm on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I have a view similar to b$'s, but I would further add that I think the "meta-plot" of the show and the tension between Jacob and MIB that we finally were exposed to in the season finale is the backdrop for showing that the notions of integrity, courage, humanity, bravery, and many other qualities that are often portrayed as noble and uniquely human, are the things that we should really value and strive for as people. At the other extreme is the philosophy that "the ends justify the means" represented most directly by Ben and his Machievellian style of management.

MIB and Jacob apparently have a philosophical disagreement over whether people are good or bad. The others make very strict judgments about which Losties are good or bad. However, many of the Losties, and especially the ones contacted off-island by Jacob, are complex characters who have done a lot of morally ambiguous, if not downright evil things in their past. Yet time and time again on island they end up rising above their fears and pasts and doing some very noble -- Sawyer, Kate, Jack, Charlie, Hurley, Jin, and others have sacrificed their own well-being for others (although they remain conflicted at times and are not all good). Compared to Ben, Widmore, and the others, who repeatedly use people and discard them for some overall "good" that we don't know entirely know about, our favorite characters strive to be at the end of the day good human beings. So I think this is what Jacob is trying to demonstrate about the human condition -- that even people with sordid pasts can have a good "core."

NOt sure if that was 10 sentences or less, but that is what I've gotten since rewatching the series after the s5 finale.
tlchapm

Postby lll8lll on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:35 am

I start with 3, and hope I can come back with my last 7 :-)

1. The island is a place on earth thats invisible to the world because of a very strong magnet field creating a sort of bubble of magnetism around it, and only makes it accessible by following a few strict procedures.

2. The Island has since the beginning of time drawn scientists to it and some thousand years ago someone found a way to build a device that somehow shifted the magnetic field and bent time and space, making the island and everyone on it move in time and space - but the center of the island where the device is located is always in its original location, meaning the ones who shifts the magnetic field are left there when the island moves.

3. The very first move of the island created the myth about Atlantis - a wonderful place where scientists lived that some day just dissapeared / sunk into the oscean.
lll8lll

Postby Libbyhyaline on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

I very much agree with BDollar when he says the show is about the characters; I believe it will be about showing us that people are not who or what they seem, and "good" people can have some very dark sides. But I also believe the show is going to be about the "redemption" of these characters, showing it doesn't matter how bad you were in your past because people can change.

I think the show will leave MAJOR themes still open (science vs religion) and (destiny vs free will) but they will def lean in one direction or the other, I think it will lean towards science (or psuedo-science) and free will. Free will will probably manifest itself in the form of people being "variables."

I also think the characters (especially our beginning characters) will have differing and important parts to play and most will be reconciled to one another again, currently they all seem to be in "Every man for himself" mode. And when I say beginning characters I mean dead ones too, so even if Charlie doesn't come back from the dead, I think we will get to see something important about him we didn't realize before, etc.

And the show will def NOT be about Jacob and Esau, they will have interesting, and ever diminishing roles (I predict by the end they'll have dropped comletely, or nearly completely, out of the picture).

I'm also going to make the bold claim that Desmond isn't going to have an important role to play in Season 6. (Even though this would disappoint me, I think that was predicted by Hawking's not knowing the future anymore...)
LOCKE: "Does any of this look familiar from when you were coming back?"
SAWYER “Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf. How could I forget this place?"
Libbyhyaline

Postby Jamster3 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:22 pm

History repeats itself, and some theorize that so does life. In the Bible when revelations comes to fruition, it doesn't completely end... it says there are 1000 years of peace and then it starts all over again.... Within every "Go around" there are many smaller cycles that all seem to lead to an "end", but many times they are false endings. For example: many people thought Hitler was the "Anti-Christ" and other dictators/monsters before him. People kept thinking through the ages that they were living in the "end times", but they were all wrong; However, they think that way because THERE IS ultimately going to be an "end". One cycle will be "the one" that brings it all to fruition. So you can look at it as either the "finishing of the cycle" or the "breaking of the Loop" either way, this is what we are witnessing in Lost. It's great "timing" because perhaps it is what we are witnessing in our real lives on this planet now. In such times, it's important that people make proper amends with themselves (get right with their souls). There are those who are miserable with what they've made of themselves and wish they could just do it all over again to make it better and then there are those who understand that "what's done is done" and you need to take it as a lesson, move on and be content with what you can still make of yourself.
Jamster3

Postby Libbyhyaline on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:58 am

Alright. In the interest of seeing who is right and wrong, and keeping this theory to the top, I think I'd lock the topic and sticky it. If anyone else wants to add a theory just let a MOD know and we can unlock it for you. How does that sound? Please no replying to other people's threads, just to try and keep it short. If anyone (JJJ?) has any other ideas of how this should be done please let me know. This topic is being locked for fun not b/c anyone did anything wrong.

And I'm willing to change that if anyone has better ideas. Feel free to PM me or another MOD since you can't write here. :)
Libbyhyaline

Re: What is really bothering us about Lost?

Postby Andrea on Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am

OMG I just read this thread....this is too funny. :lol:
Andrea

Re: JJJ

Postby Libbyhyaline on Fri May 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Asst. Dir. Kendall wrote:
Libbyhyaline wrote:I believe the thread you're looking for is here JJJ:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=450

Howsabout unlocking it so we can all make fun of ourselves for how wrong we were? :D

Done!
Libbyhyaline

Return to Additions to the Theory